Saturday 12 May 2012

Artwork

Here are a few example of some characters I've been drawing recently for a project that is currently festering at the back of my mind underneath the deluge of other projects that are currently taking away all my time, and dangling it in front of me like a bully with my school-bag full of textbooks shouting "Ha ha, now you won't be able to read!". The bullies of my mind are strange and exactingly cruel creatures, overly preoccupied with preventing my own intellectual self-betterment. 
The pricks.

The Nihilist Gardener, Variation No. 4 - Ukiyo Cjelli

This is the Nihilist Gardener, the quality is fairly low as I couldn't get the scanner to work, so took this photo with a webcam. Post-effects were added by manually adjusting the photo to negative, and then messing around on Pixlr-o-Matic.

Peregrine Toon, Variation No. 2 - Ukiyo Cjelli

This is Peregrine Toon. I made the largest number of variations of this as I couldn't decide whether I preferred the swirling light of this one, or one that kept it more in line with the style of the others. In the end I decided a bit of variation is always good in variations, so opted for the darker, more confusing one.

Rain Dog, Variation No.1 - Ukiyo Cjelli

Rain Dog started life as a doodle in some long lost note-book. Originally he was the most forefront of several shady characters who looked to be emerging from the fog and the rain, carrying shovels and lanterns and other equipment that might suggest they were miners of some description.

Snort Milk, Variation No.3 - Ukiyo Cjelli

I'm not sure if Snort Milk is his name or not, or whether he's a disembodied head who hovers off the ground by squirting rainbows out of his many nostrils, or a wyzzard with with a warped self-image. I just know he's ancient, senile, and a little surreal. 

All of these characters are rough ideas for The Nihilist Gardening Hour, which already exists in a very rough form, but will exist in a much more concrete form some time in the next two years. I'm working very hard at it in my subconscious, developing weird and wonderful characters and extrapolating fantastical plot lines from them. I'm going to start posting more on here about it as the year wears on, just for my own satisfaction, as I see the project develop. In the meantime, I hope that if anybody out there comes across these pictures, they might find some enjoyment in them, and remember to check back periodically to find out more about the Nihilist Gardening Hour.



No comments:

Post a Comment