Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Lovers

The Lovers - Rene Magritte, 1928

Watching the bubbles rise through your pint
Like grains of sand in an hourglass,
Whilst the rain beats down on the pane outside;
These smaller prisons to pass.

Those eyes that flirted, perverted by season,
Lines run amok through heartache and reason.

You could take a pen and scrawl on each one:

'Here is December 2008,
When I realised you couldn't let go of your past;
And here is the New Year's Eve of that year,
When in favour of cheer you forgot your own heart.

Here's where I saw how you always sought ease,
Clutching at fading memories;
Too scared to entrust your fate to me;
Your future, your past, your elegy.'

I loved you for guilt of what I had done,
But it led me to crawl at your heels,
In paying my debt I ensnared myself,
And your touch became my seal.

But time has embittered the lash of your laugh,
And the rain has run dry your lips;
Though your nylon-clad thighs chain my joy to your whim,
and your face has my vision eclipsed.

Still, sat here with you,
In this jailhouse bar,
I'll seek a collusion at last;

You're the face of love,
But you're not the whole,
You're a memory of the past.



No comments:

Post a Comment