Sunday 6 November 2011

Please Keep the Exits Clear

Study after Velázquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X - Francis Bacon, 1953

Dance with defiance,
The circus freaks & lions
Are crowded round your cage to permit you


To condescend your dreams,
But they're picking at the seams,
And now it seems like they're going to rip through


The bars of your cage,
Which you constructed in a rage;
Underage liaisons & your vices.


Now you're trapped by the same
Faceless mass with no name,
That took you by the hand in a crisis.


I can stay if you want me to,
And we can have another beer;
But I'm not driven by greed
So I'll stay if you need,
But please keep the exits clear.


See, I'll come if you need me,
But I won't do more than that;
Deceptively needy,
Consistently greedy,
Know your exits or you'll be trapped.



No comments:

Post a Comment